Friday, October 1, 2010

Finding a Niche.... and it smells like fish?

I have decided to participate in the JMTC blogging carnival. Markco has tasked us with sharing a Niche gold making strategy with the rest of the community and I am happy to do so.

When I first started playing wow the economy was quite different. It was a difficult task saving up to be able to get a riding mount at 40. All of my friends were grinding and toiling to save up the money, and I was looking for ways to save up myself. I was enamoured with WOW and all that you could do besides leveling. I took small pleasures in Fishing and Cooking all sorts of foods. I stumbled upon a recepie for Savory Deviate Delights and learned it without thinking about it.

Turns out that the recipe at the time was worth 50g or so and could even be sold for 100g on a neutral AH!  I was a bit upset at first but decided to figure out why it was so valuable. Turns out it was used to make this fun food that would turn you into a pirate or a Ninja and was in high demand on the AH. I found out where the deviate fish were and started fishing them up. I was able to make a gold a fish once cooked and this started me along the way to finding way of making gold, and (minus a few months off) I have never looked back.  The deviate fish became and are still one of my favorite markets around and the market fit me like a glove.

Deviate fish are still a great valuable resource, and have opened several doors for me. I still sell Deviate Delights for 2-3g apiece and manage to sell a couple stacks a day, I also will send them to my Alchemist and convert them into Elixir of Giant Growth that make much more than my Deviate delights do, I manage to sell 20 or so of these at 7g each and these only require a single fish and Earthroot which is normally available for 5-10g a stack. This strategy has been immensely profitable.

I no longer fish the Deviates, I wonder into the barrens and find young adventures who are wanting to make gold. Normally I am able to buy them for 50-75 silvers each. This is great in it's own right, but perhaps the best thing about this is how it has helped me to find wonderfully willing farmers who after they graduate out of the barrens will become farmers for other items like ores, leathers and herbs. It's a gateway into other things and goes to show that building an early relationship with someone is a sure fire to make gold in WOW and I must say for starting me in making gold I quite simply love Deviates!




"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth."
Fredrich Nietzsche

4 comments:

  1. I have been selling costume wand zaps (from last year's All Hallows Eve" event for 10g each lately. People always love their costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article - deviate delights were something I used to do a couple of years ago and it was good profits then too. Found your blog through the JMTC carnival and like what I see - adding you to my blogroll and looking forward to future articles. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, used wrong account for comment so that's not correctly linked to my blog if you wanted to take a look, should be followthegoldroad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good information. I especially like the bit about enterprising with farmers. That's a really good idea I had never thought of. I'm going to try that out this week and see if I can add any new farmers to my flock. Thanks for the Blog-Roll add, and I will surely return the favor :)

    ReplyDelete