Thursday, October 14, 2010

DR. StrangeGuild or how I learned to stop worrying and love misfortune.

Well... after two and a half days, I have finally managed to get 4.0.1 installed. thanks to a faulty hard drive and a dying power supply I managed to miss out on some serious gold. I suppose this was a pretty Epic fail on my machines part.

It did however get me thinking about other peoples failures. I have been bouncing around from guild to guild for awhile now. It seems any time I get invested in a group of people, something happens that causes the guild to collapse. I don't directly involve myself in any of the disputes or anything I just watch as the GM loses interest or boots people and liquidates the guild banks holdings. and runs away with it.

Well after a few of these I've started to become a bit of a carrion.  I will sniff around trade waiting to hear the sweet Proclimation of "GUILD FOR SALE!" or "Guild Stock for sale".  I will then inquire upon price, or buy up all of the available stock at a huge discount.

Last week for example, A guy was advertising a Guild for sale with 4 tabs for 1150. Well the second I showed any interest in this he was suddenly willing to let it go for 800 so I snatched it up on an alt for the added space (getting signatures for a new one is painful and my time is more valuable elsewhere) . Turns out that it was a hell of a buy, Once I took ownership I checked out the Guild Bank tab to see if anything was left. I found a stack of Abyss Crystals, Rods of almost every color. and about 10-20 stacks of various dusts and a half a tab or so of random greens.  After selling all this stuff off in the auction house I ended up profiting 1500g or so, and getting a 4 tab GB for free. Other times I have bought out entire GB stocks at well under market value, the GM's just wanting to get rid of everything and go off to join another guild themselves.

You see I profit off the misfortune of others. Somewhere down the line somebody placed these items in the guild banks to help out the guild and their fellow guildies. They have most likely been cut out of their fair share of the profits, while i reap the benefits of this betrail.  I am a Carrion bird, happily picking at the corpses of good intentions.

This might not shine the brightest of lights on me, But I have a feeling I am not the only one who does this. I make no apologies.

2 comments:

  1. Side note... I have not Actually entered the realm after 4.0.1 as it was super late by the time I got everything fixed. So be prepared to see some post patch posts later. Right now I have little to offer on the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also missed out on the initial wave of glyph selling, having finally got into 4.0.1 tonight. I still have only 'really' posted glyphs on one toon.

    It is OK though. One of my major competitors has nearly sold out, there are still no cheap ink or herbs on the market (meaning that inscribers are still working through their glyph stockpiles).

    Come the weekend I will still have large stockpiles, and as alts are brought out there will be another wave of glyph buying.

    ReplyDelete